Posted In: Business Development
Law Firm Business Development: Holiday Tips
The holiday season is upon us yet again. Wouldn’t it be easier if the end of the year came along at some other time during the year?! Instead, everything seems to get crammed into these last two months resulting into what amounts to little more than a blur. Between year-end collections, planning for next year, budgets, personal reviews, staff reviews, holiday gifts, gatherings, friends, family, etc., the time goes by so quickly. Just when it seems that you have everything under control, a great business development opportunity with a deadline that is nearly impossible to meet falls in your lap.
I’ve spoken with many clients over the past few weeks and it seems as though they, like us, are busier than ever. To them (and now to you), I offer the following business development advice:
- The best time for business development is when you’re busy; confidence is sky high
- The holidays give you a great, non-business reason for outreach to “stay top-of-mind with the people who matter”
- Don’t simply rely on your firm’s e-card to keep in touch with your valuable contacts
- If you send out holiday cards, be sure to write something personal in them—don’t just sign your name!
- Business development requires a little bit of activity on a consistent or routine basis (think “chronic,” rather than a splash of activity with a period of inactivity “acute”)
- Leverage technology like LinkedIn to cast a wide net, keeping your name in front of your contact network
- Stay the course—don’t let the holidays distract you from achieving your business development goals
- Reflect on what worked and what didn’t; for the things that didn’t work so well, make any necessary adjustments. For the things that did work, well, keep doing those things.
Finally, and most importantly…
My very best wishes for a wonderful holiday season and for a safe, healthy, and happy New Year!