Silvia L. Coulter Co-Founding Principal
Mobile: (617) 697-4869
Silvia Coulter is a Co-founding Principal of LawVision. Silvia is widely regarded as one of the legal industry’s most experienced sales, key client planning, and sales leadership experts. Her experience includes working as a former strategic account executive and sales leader at a Fortune 50 company, a chief marketing and business development officer at two global law firms, and consultant and facilitator to firms across the globe.
Law firm leaders rely on Silvia’s experience and assistance with leadership development, strategic account analysis (key client) and planning, and business development strategy. She is a co-founder of the Legal Sales and Service Organization, a Past Elected President of the Legal Marketing Association, and an elected Fellow of the College of Law Practice Management. She is a frequent speaker and facilitator at law firm retreats and legal industry meetings.
- Developed and teach the industry’s first Business Development Coaching Certification program
- Developed and taught curriculum for the Marketing, Business Development and Client Service course at George Washington University’s Masters in Law Firm Management Program 2011-2019.
- Conducted a leadership study and related programming for a global firm’s practice leaders.
- Facilitated a global leaders’ program aimed at collaboration and existing client retention strategy through cross-selling.
- Developed and conducted a SAM (Strategic Account Management) program to refine several global firms’ overall key client strategies. This included developing an overall framework for team leaders, team members, meeting agenda, training and overall plans goals, measures and outcomes. Helped the firm to drive upwards of 25% increase in overall revenue from its specific target clients.
- Assisted a global 25 firm with its client retention and growth strategy by conducting a series of senior-level customized client feedback interviews to strengthen the firm's client retention and growth opportunities.
- Successfully launched a legal process improvement project for a firm's most significant practice group. This included legal work re-engineering; a strategic sales plan for reaching out to target clients with a new value proposition and overall pricing strategy.
- Conducted marketing audits for several global 100 firms. Developed new roles, responsibilities and an overall more comprehensive sales and marketing organization to provide stronger support to its global offices.
- Reviewed and updated a strategic go-to-market plan including existing plan analysis; review of alignment with existing clients (representing 85% of firm’s current market share across their key industries); competitive analysis and market share penetration.
- Helped individual partners to deliver over $3 million in new revenue through a 12-month senior partner sales coaching program.
- Conducted a business development analysis for two merging firms that resulted in mapping a view of the merged firm's key clients and key target markets.
Publications & Podcasts
- Co-author of “SAM-Legal: From Key Clients to Strategic Accounts” (published on Amazon.com - January 2021)
- Co-author of “The Rainmaking Advantage”
- Author - and for later editions co-author - of “The Women Lawyer's Rainmaking Game: How to Build a Successful Law Practice” (published by Thomson Reuters/West Legal Education - 2013/2014 ed.)
- Contributor to "Best Practices in Law Firm Business Development and Marketing" by Deborah Brightman Farone (published by Practicing Law Institute - 2019)
- Contributor to “Building Rainmakers” by David King Keller, PhD (published by American Bar Association - 2016)
- Chapter contributor for "Leaders in Legal Business" (published by HG.org - 2015, updated in 2017)
- LawVision Business Development Blog Posts
- “Law Firm Business Development: Turning Key Clients into Strategic Accounts, co-author with Steven Bell, Legal Executive Institute Forum Magazine, (Spring, 2020)
- "Always Be Networking: Five Tips for Staying Connected," In-House Ops (Aug 2019)
- "The Coming Downturn: Hope for the Best, Prepare for the Worst," Legal Executive Institute (July 2019)
- "Sales Professionals Find New Opportunities in the Legal Industry," LegalBusinessWorld (July 2019)
- "Leadership for the Strong," Law.com (July 2019)
- "Building a Professional Sales Team within Your Law Firm," Legal Executive Institute (March 2019)
- "Law Firm Sales: More on Pick Up the Phone," The National Law Review (Aug 2018)
- 30th Annual Thomson Reuters Marketing Partner Forum, Co-Chair and Presenter (Jan 2023)
- Center for International Legal Studies, Kitzbuhel, Austria, “Business Development Trends,” (Jan 2020)
- 27th Annual Marketing Partner Forum, Co-Chair and Presenter (Jan 2020)
- 26th Annual Marketing Partner Forum, Co-Chair and Presenter, "Marketing and Business Development Trends" (Jan 2019)
- Thomson Reuters 2018 Global Leadership Council, "Designing Growth: Creating New Profitability Strategies within the Firm" (April 2018)
- IE Law School - Lawyers Management Program, Faculty Member (April 2018)
- LMA Annual Conference, Pre-Conference Program "Become a Great Coach" (April 2018)
- LMA Northeast Region, "Business Development Coaching to Generate Sales and Revenue - It’s a Team Sport," (Jan 2018)
- 25th Annual Marketing Partner Forum, Co-Chair and Presenter, "The 2018 Annual Marketing Partner Forum Survey" (Jan 2018)
- Boston Bar Association, “Top Tips for Business Development Success" (Jan 2018)
- Annual LexisNexis Accelerate Conference, "Future Think Roundtable #1: Building a Collaborative Team by Being a Strong Team Leader" (Sept 2017)
Professional Associations & Boards
- Faculty and Certification Program Instructor, Legal Sales and Service Organization, Coaching Certification Program (2018-Current)
- Adjunct Faculty, Endicott College, Gerrish School of Business, 2022 to current
- Adjunct Faculty, George Washington University College of Professional Studies, Masters in Law Firm Management Program (2011-2019) (marketing course)
- Adjunct faculty, IE Law School Executive Education, Madrid, Spain (2019)
- Board member and Co-founder, The Legal Sales and Service Organization (current)
- Elected Fellow, College of Law Practice Management
- Editorial Board Member, Practice Innovations, published by Thomson/West (2005 to current)
- Editorial Board Member, Marketing for Lawyers, ALM publication (2001-current)
- Editor-in-Chief, Law Firm Partnership and Benefits Report, ALM Publication (1999-2012)
- Elected Board Member, Patriots’ Trail Girl Scouts (2005-2007)
- Elected President, Legal Marketing Association (2001)
Awards & Recognitions
- Law Dragon Global 100 - Leading Consultants and Strategists to the Legal Profession 2018-2023
- 2010 Inductee, Legal Marketing Association Hall of Fame
- Leadership Development Certification, Human Synergistics
- Organizational Culture Certification, Human Synergistics
- Six Sigma Green Belt
- Certified Facilitator, McNellis Planning
- Sexual Harassment Prevention Training, ZyWave (2023)