Jim Cranston Co-Founding Principal
Office: (817) 310-6299 | Mobile: (949) 306-3259
Jim Cranston is a founding Principal of LawVision and is widely recognized as a leading authority on sales and business development in the legal industry. He has developed a unique method for teaching sales skills to lawyers and law firms, which consistently helps professionals win new clients and grow firm revenues through his innovative programs. Previously he served as a Managing Director with Hildebrandt Baker Robbins, one of the world’s leading law firm consultancy organizations. Prior to joining Hildebrandt, Jim co-founded CoulterCranston, a consulting firm focused on assisting law firms with all facets of business development. Jim was also a member of the senior leadership team at Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman in San Francisco. As the Director of Business Development, he was instrumental in creating and implementing the client team program resulting in significant growth with many of the firm’s top clients.
Prior to his work in the legal industry, Jim spent fourteen years selling consulting services in Northern and Southern California. In 1990, he was one of the first recognized business development executives among the Big Eight where he served as regional sales manager at Price Waterhouse. Four years later, he was recruited to grow the consulting practice at Arthur Andersen as the Director of Business Development. During his seven-year tenure at Andersen, Jim received the prestigious “Sales Excellence Award” on four occasions and later received the firms “Top Producer” award.
- Launched more than forty successful client teams and authored the client team planning process, initiated the practice section business planning initiative.
- Served as a business development leader and client development coach to client relationship partners.
- Established firm-wide business development training and coaching programs.
- Developed and taught programs to more than 1,500 lawyers.
- "Five Reasons Why Hiring a Sales Professional Will Benefit Your Firm" LawVision (December 2019)
- "Artificial Intelligence – A Game Changer in the Legal Industry?" The National Law Review (April 2017)
- "Successful Business Development Begins with this One Thing," The National Law Review (December 2016)
- "Change: Lessons for Law Firm Leaders from the Legendary Jack Welch," LawFuel (September 2016)
- University of Houston Law Center, Guest Lecture “Ten Presentation Tips to Educate Your Audience” (February 2020)
- LMA Annual Conference, Pre-Conference Program "Become a Great Coach" (April 2018)
- Webinar, "The Only Sales Strategy You Really Need to Know - Focusing on Key Clients" (April 2015)