Mark Medice Principal
Mobile: (412) 721-9475
Mark Medice is a Principal at LawVision and leads the Financial Performance and Data Science Practice. He has over 20 years of leadership experience providing and applying data solutions to the most pressing challenges facing law firm leaders. Mark spent over 10 years at Thomson Reuters, where he launched and led the Peer Monitor program. During that time, he created the Peer Monitor Index (PMI), which is widely used throughout the legal industry. Immediately prior to LawVision, Mark led new initiatives around analytics and metrics at Intapp.
Law firm leaders rely on Mark’s unparalleled experience in financial competitive intelligence and benchmarking, predictive analytics, industry performance, rates, pricing trends and strategy, profitability, and other critical issues facing firms today.
- Counseled over 100 Large Law Firms on Pricing and Profitability Performance. As Peer Monitor leader, have worked with over 100 global law firms on pricing, profitability and analytics, leading to millions in strategic pricing, cash and profitability improvements.
- Midwestern Firm Pricing Strategy. Worked with 200-lawyer midwestern law firm on pricing and profit strategy over span of year, driving $8m in growth based on rate gains.
- Silicon Valley Firm Profit Audit. Worked with Silicon Valley law firm with over 400 lawyers, $2m PPP, helping them to audit and review developing profit models, consider cultural issues, and review overall project deployment strategy.
- Profit Curricula and Cultural Acceptance. Worked with $1b law firm, helping them educate and train partners on best practices in law firm profitability, while helping to diagnose high impact areas for improvement.
- Performance Management and Profitability. Worked with a 250-lawyer southeastern law firm on firm performance and profitability principles as incorporated into operations and practice performance.
- Predictive Analytics and Profitability. Worked with a 200-lawyer regional law firm using predictive analytics modeling techniques to identify risky matters at business intake, while monitoring them through the entirety of the engagement.
- Profit Metrics. Worked with 400-lawyer firm to develop new profit metric and develop a client margin analysis framework, helping them to migrate from a revenue-based to a contribution-based model.
Publications & Surveys
- "Pricing 2.0 - Beyond the Billable Hour," PinHawk Legal Administrator (February 2021)
- In conjunction with Iridium and Concata, conducted a 17-point flash survey forecasting 2021 law firm performance. The results are summarized in this report and indicate cautious optimism against the backdrop of economic recovery anticipated in 2021. It touches on key performance levers like pricing, discounts, as well as expected practice demand patterns, and expenses.
- Book: "Guidance for Law Firm Leaders: The Legal Profession in a COVID-19 World," contributing author, LawVision (June 2020)
- "COVID-19 Recovery Playbook," 4-Part Series in The American Lawyer (April 2020)
- "Data-Driven Law Firm Financial Performance & Profitability Analytics for the Next Wave," Legal Executive Institute (April 2020)
- Law Firm Profitability Survey (over 100 participating firms)
- Law Firm Pricing Survey (over 75 participating firms)
- Law Firm Analytics/Data Science Survey (over 75 participating firms)
- “Midsized Law Firms – Competitive and Innovation Strategies,” ARK Conference (Sept 2019)
- Creator of the LawVision Profitability, Pricing and Analytics Maturity Models (2019)
- “Accelerating Adoption of Experience Management Systems,” Practice Innovations Newsletter (July 2018)
- “Data is Eating the World – What About Law Firms?” Legal Sales & Service Organization (Sept 2017)
- "Client Success through Better Competitive Intelligence," ARK Group Optimizing Client Value (August 2016)
- Ark Group, "Law Firm Profitability Summit: People, Process & Technology" (April 2022)
- Law Firm GC Roundtable, “Using Data to Predict Cash Leakage in the Matter Lifecycle,” (Oct 2019)
- Law Firm Profitability Survey Result (Spring 2019)
- Rate Strategy Webinar (March 2019)
- ILTA, "Law Firm Profitability Trends" (Aug 2019)
- LMA, Pricing and Rate Strategy Webinar R(Sept 2019)
- Data Science Webinar (July 2019)
- Managing Partner Roundtable on Pricing and Analytics (Fall 2018)
- LSSO's RainDance Conference, "Predictive Analytics and Putting Data to Work" (June 2018)
- P3 Conference, "Pricing Trends" (May 2018)
- Intapp London Pricing Roundtable, "Innovation and Pricing" (April 2018)
- 25th Annual Marketing Partner Forum, "Experience Management" (Jan 2018)
- ARK Growth Strategies, Conference Chair (Nov 2017)
- Thomson Reuters COO/CFO Forum Panel, "Winning with Laterals" (Oct 2017)
- P3 Conference, "DNA of the Modern Law Firm" (May 2017)
- Roundtable Chair on Law Firm Economics, Hosted at the Law Firm Vedder Price (March 2017)
- ARK Client Growth Strategies, "Client Intelligence and Growth Strategies" (Nov 2015)
- London Operational Leaders in Legal Conference, "Embracing Innovation and Technological Advancement to Drive More Efficient Matter Delivery" (Nov 2015)
Professional Associations & Boards
Founding Member & Communications Chair, Standards Advancement for Legal Industry (SALI)